The bullish engulfing signal is important to learn since it is one of the major candlestick patterns. When the elements of this signal are broken down an investor can clearly understand what was going on in investor sentiment to cause a reversal. Four hundred years of observations from Japanese Rice traders has recognized this signal as a very high probability reversal signal.
The bullish engulfing signal may happen often as it is a major reversal pattern. It is comprised of two opposite colored bodies and it is formed after a downtrend. It opens lower than the previous day’s close and closes higher than the previous day’s open. Thus, the green candle completely engulfs the previous day’s red candle.
Criteria for bullish engulfing signal
1. The body of the second day completely engulfs the body of the first day. Shadows are not a consideration.
2. Prices have been in a definable down trend even if it has been short term.
3. The body of the second candle is opposite color of the first candle, with the first candle the color of the previous trend. The exception to this rule is when the engulfed body is a doji or an extremely small body.
Signal Enhancements for bullish engulfing signal
- A large body engulfing a small body.
- The previous day shows the trend was running out of steam. The large body shows that the new direction has started with good force.
- When the engulfing pattern occurs after a fast move down, there will be less supply of stock to slow down the reversal move. A fast move makes a stock price over extended and increases the potential for profit taking.
- Large volume on the engulfing day increases the chances that a blow-off day has occurred.
- The engulfing body engulfs the body and the shadows of the previous day. The reversal has a greater probability of working.
- The greater the open gaps down from the previous close the greater the probability of a strong reversal.
After a downtrend has been in effect the price opens lower than where it closed the previous day. Before the end of the day, the buyers have taken over and moved the price above where it opened the day before. The emotional psychology of the trend has now been altered. Utilizing candlestick signals makes learning to invest in the stock market much easier to understand. One of the fastest and easiest processes for learning to invest is to learn the candlestick signals. Each major signal provides an immense amount of information.
THE SPECIAL OFFER
Author: Stephen Bigalow
Company: Candlestick Forum
Services Offered: Trading Education, Books, Videos, Webinars, Indicators, Live Trading Room
Markets Covered: Options, Stocks, Forex, Futures
Stephen W. Bigalow has nearly 40+ years of investment experience, including eight years as a stockbroker with major Wall Street firms: Kidder Peabody & Company, Cowen & Company and Oppenheimer & Company.